Re: [RFC 5/7] USB/xHCI: USB 3.0 link PM change bit means port resume.

On Thu, 12 Jan 2012, Sarah Sharp wrote:

> > > I think the idea is that software is supposed to know to resume a device
> > > by looking at the device notification the device sends (and the xHCI
> > > host passes on in an event) when the roothub port finishes resuming.
> > > Only the xHCI host doesn't send device notifications itself, so it uses
> > > the link state change.
> >
> > What does xhci-hcd do with the device notifications?
>
> Absolutely nothing right now.  I couldn't figure out why we needed them
> since function suspend wasn't implemented, so the xHCI event code just
> handles the event and ignores it.
>
> I'm thinking that if we get a device wake notification, the xHCI driver
> should find the parent hub of that device and somehow kick khubd for that
> hub.  But I'd have to look and see if we could do that without
> interfering with the URB completion for the parent hub's interrupt URB.

Hmmm.  As far as I can see, when a child of non-suspended non-root hub
requests a wakeup, the hub doesn't send any special signal to the host.
In particular, it doesn't set any port-status-change bits.  Which means
we _must_ use the notification somehow.

The notification packet contains only a device address; xhci-hcd will
have to translate that to either a device number or (ideally) a struct
usb_device.  We'll create a hub->wakeup_bits bitflag array, and hub.c
can export a function for xhci-hcd to call that will set the
appropriate bitflag and kick khubd.

> > For SuperSpeed hubs, the wakeup code will probably have to look at the
> > link state status bits instead of the link state change bits.  I guess
> > we could do the same thing with non-SuperSpeed hubs -- look for ports
> > whose suspend status bit isn't set but where the child device is marked
> > as being in USB_STATE_SUSPENDED.
>
> Ok, that's what I was thinking of doing.
>
> Also, it turns out that the port link status change bit also indicates
> when a USB 3.0 port moves to SS.Inactive (even on the roothub), so the
> usb_handle_remote_wake() code needs to handle that case.  I got a lot of
> -19 errors from usb_autoresume() because udev was NULL when I first
> plugged in a USB 3.0 hub that didn't link train with the host controller
> properly.
>
> The USB core tried to disable the port, which doesn't work for USB 3.0
> ports, and so it turned into a loop of trying to auto-resume, failing
> because udev was NULL,

usb_autoresume_device() should never be called with a NULL argument.

>  attempting to disable the port, noticing the
> SS.Inactive state and issuing a warm reset, clearing the link and reset
> change bits, waiting for the debounce delay, device slips back into
> SS.Inactive in the meantime, and then we try to auto-resume, etc.

If the link fails during the debounce delay, we'll never enumerate the
device.  So how come we then try to autoresume it?  Shouldn't the
device get unregistered (or fail to be registered in the first place)
when enumeration fails?

> I don't really see a way to make that loop end, since we can't disable
> USB 3.0 ports, so I guess the user will just see the failed attempts
> filling up their dmesg.  Good news is that this is the first time I've
> seen such a loop, and the USB 3.0 hub is still only a prototype that
> probably isn't electrically compliant yet.

I don't understand how that loop could get started at all.  Part of the
problem may be that I don't have a copy of your tree (and
git.kernel.org is currently unavailable).

Alan Stern