Re: coping with poor usb implementations

I read through the USBlyzer docs today and I'm not sure that the point at which the data are traced is comparable to the linux model. In particular, as far as I can tell, information about data transfers like "SET ADDRESS" are not visible in the trace data (I've not tried this, it's just a view based on the documents), so capturing the windows data may not help much.

Tim
On 9 Jan 2012, at 08:40, Tim Coote wrote:

> Ah, a Rumsfeld scenario. Very gracious: thanks. Here's:
> a/ a file created by listening on wireshark to the usb 2.0 bus starting the night before, stopping after the interactions ceased and confirming that the Inverter was not working, even with XP: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/10589123/usbBus2OvernightConnectionWillNotRecoverWithXpCannotFindSerialNumberOnAnyAddress
>
> b/ for comparison, a wireshark monitoring session spanning connecting to the Inverter when already booted:http://dl.dropbox.com/u/10589123/usbBus2AsPviConnected
>
> If it's of any value, I can try to grab a suitable xp tool to get the interaction on that box. USBlyzer looked the most suitable to me (http://bit.ly/zrPuLA)
>
> The data raise a few questions in my mind, which I'm afraid I don't have the background to even say whether they are relevant:
> - why does the failing interaction start by interrogating device 3, whereas the one from just plugging in the usb cable starts at device 2
> - why does the failing interaction not complete when it does get to device 2 (at around sample 21283)
> - what causes the succeeding interaction to stop
> - why do so many devices from the failing interaction report that they exist
>
> [Alan, sorry for sending this twice, I got the wrong email address to start with]
>
> Tim
[snip]