Re: UAS support for hcd without sg support

On Mon, 9 Jan 2012, Sebastian Andrzej Siewior wrote:

> > Ok, and why would you want to run a UAS device on anything other than
> > those controllers?
>
> There is nothing wrong with adding UAS to a device which can do only
> USB2.0. On the hand you could attach your USB3.0 UAS device to the ohci
> controller because you have an old computer _or_ some other device
> which has only musb for instance.

But there's very little advantage to using UAS in those circumstances;
it will be only slightly faster than BOT.  Nobody is going to stop
supporting BOT any time soon -- not until UAS support is added to all
the old versions of Windows floating around!

(Besides, we might as well add SG support to ohci-hcd.  Doing so will
be fairly easy, and it's already present in uhci-hcd; you must have
missed it.)

> > Fix the UAS driver to not do a blocking call from interrupt context?
>
> All this controllers are 2.0 or less. According to the protocol we
> learn in the URB's completion that we have enqueue a new URB. So
> blocking here means a context switch into an UAS-thread/workqueue. This
> is no good.
> So I propose (start of this thread) to change usb_sg_wait() so it does
> not wait.

You would also have to allocate a bunch of URBs using GFP_ATOMIC, which
is not desirable.

Alan Stern