Re: Addronics 5-Port HPM-XU (USB/ESATA) port multiplier

On Thu, 5 Jan 2012, Matthew Dharm wrote:

> So, I guess the situation really comes down to this: The current code
> prevents anyone from reporting anything higher than SCSI_2, but lower
> values are allowed.  Here, we have a device that needs to report
> higher than SCSI_2.  Allowing reporting of values higher than SCSI_2
> may cause issues with READ_CAPACITY (but we have an unusual_devs flag
> for that case), REPORT_LUNS (handled by your patch by globally
> blocking REPORT_LUNS for all usb-storage devices), reading VPD pages,
> and possible st_mod logic.

Right.

> Hrm... do we have any idea how devices respond to reading various VPD pages?

I don't remember anything.  But there is a comment in sd.c about some
USB devices crashing when they receive those commands.

> I'm not really concerned about st_mod.  There are just too few USB
> tape devices out there anymore.  Any complaints we get could be dealt
> with on a device-by-device basis with special flags, if necessary.
>
> BUT, without some assurances that devices won't fall over when asked
> for VPD pages, I'm hesitant to go forward.  How about this: what if
> you change the name of the flag from "no_report_luns" to
> "likely_braindead_target" (you can pick a different name if you want)
> and then use that to block REPORT_LUNS as well as the enhanced VPD
> retrieval?  With this plan, devices reporting higher than SCSI_2 will
> get commands formatted the way they want (no LUN bit-stuffing), but
> will also not get commands that we're not positive they will accept.

Sure, that ought to work.  I'll update the patch.

> The flip side is to go forward with your patch as planned, and if the
> VPD issue becomes a problem, then add in a separate "don't get VPD
> pages" flag later.  Unless this VPD data is *really* important, I
> would be inclined to not issue the command.  A userspace tool could
> always issue the command if the user wanted the info, and thus they
> accept the responsibility for killing their device (until reset).

I don't know how important that information is.  It might matter for
things like releasing regions on SSDs.  If necessary, we can always add
a new flag like you suggest.

Alan Stern