Re: Megawin USB serial question?

On Fri, Dec 30, 2011 at 05:58:25PM -0800, Stephen Hemminger wrote:
> I have a bike computer with a USB cradle and the obligatory crap windows app.
> Didn't bother with it much but discovered there is an open source bike monitoring
> app with download for lots of different hardware (Golden Cheetah). But it doesn't
> support the VDO Z3.
>
> The hardware shows up as a Megawin USB serial bridge. There is a datasheet online,
> and looks like others have fiddled with it in the past. Is there anything wrong
> with just making a stub wrapper that calls the usb generic driver, or is it better
> to just add more ID's to the existing driver?

We've traditionally just created a new driver for devices like this, it
should be really tiny, like the file drivers/usb/serial/zio.c

We've talked about merging all of these "generic" drivers together, and
probably should one day, as it would be simpler, no one has really
gotten around to it yet.

thanks,

greg k-h