Re: ACPI I/O resource conflicts with ACPI region SMBI

On Fri, Dec 16, 2011 at 11:27 AM, Jonathan Nieder <jrnieder@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>  - Please test a v3.2 release candidate from experimental.  The only
>   packages from outside squeeze that should be needed for this, aside
>   from the kernel image itself, are linux-base and initramfs-tools.
>
>  - If it reproduces the problem, please blacklist the xhci_hcd
>   module by writing
>
>        blacklist xhci_hcd
>
>   to a file /etc/modprobe.d/mm-blacklist-xhci.conf, run
>
>        update-initramfs -u -k all
>
>   and reboot to try again without USB 3.0 support.  If we're very
>   lucky, this will work around the problem.  In that case, please
>   write a summary of the problem to upstream
>   (linux-usb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, cc-ing Sarah Sharp
>   <sarah.a.sharp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> and either me or this bug log so we
>   can track the resulting discussion).  Be sure to include:
>
>    - steps to reproduce the problem
>    - symptoms, and how they differ from what you expected
>    - ways to avoid triggering the problem (maybe some USB ports
>      trigger it and others don't? etc)
>    - full "dmesg" output from booting, and a photo of the screen
>      after reproducing the problem (ideally by running "modprobe
>      xhci_hcd" in the very same run of Linux), as attachments
>    - which kernel versions you've tested, and what happened with each
>    - a link to this bug log for the full story
>    - any other weird symptoms or observations

System: Dell System Vostro 3750 / Portable Computer

Ok. So I am running: 3.2.0-rc4-amd64 from debian experimental.

No mouse plugged to USB 2.0/3.0 interface: boot is fine
Mouse plugged to USB 2.0 interface: boot is fine
Mouse plugged to USB 3.0 interface: boot simply stops

As suggested by Jonathan N. [1] here is what I did next:

$ cat /etc/modprobe.d/mm-blacklist-xhci.conf
blacklist xhci_hcd
$ update-initramfs -u -k all
$ sudo reboot

3.2.0-rc4-amd64 refuse to boot as soon as I plug my mouse to USB 3.0
port (screenshot at [2]). USB 2.0 and no mouse still boot fine.

I am attaching dmesg from a kernel boot, when mouse is attached to USB
2.0 port (see [3]).

I think I'll revert to 2.6.39-bpo.2-amd64 because kernel does not
seems to like my video card. When I suspend/resume, screen is
displayed on screen Ctrl+Shift+F8, while pointer stays on
Ctrl+Shift+F7. I can type fine from Ctrl+Shift+F7, since I can see
results on Ctrl+Shift+F8. I'll try to compile the nvidia kernel and
see if suspend/resume works.

Refs:
[1] http://bugs.debian.org/644174
[2] http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=644174#64