Re: serial device name for smart card reader that is integrated to Anysee DVB USB device

On 10/14/2011 08:32 PM, Oliver Neukum wrote:
Am Mittwoch, 5. Oktober 2011, 10:16:06 schrieb Oliver Neukum:
Am Mittwoch, 5. Oktober 2011, 08:19:10 schrieb Antti Palosaari:
On 10/05/2011 09:15 AM, Oliver Neukum wrote:

But, Greg, Antti makes a very valid point here. The generic code assumes that
it owns intfdata, that is you cannot use it as is for access to anything that lacks
its own interface. But this is not a fatal flaw. We can alter the generic code to use
an accessor function the driver can provide and make it default to get/set_intfdata

What do you think?

Oliver, I looked your old thread reply but I didn't catch how you meant
it to happen. Could you give some small example?

here is the code I come up with at an early, extremely incomplete stage.
Just for your information because I'll stop working on this for a few days.

I am back with that issue again. I just analysed both Oliver's code and usb-serial.c.

Problem are only these functions:
extern int usb_serial_probe(struct usb_interface *iface, const struct usb_device_id *id);
extern void usb_serial_disconnect(struct usb_interface *iface);
extern int usb_serial_suspend(struct usb_interface *intf, pm_message_t message);
extern int usb_serial_resume(struct usb_interface *intf);

as all those takes struct usb_interface as parameter. For the disconnect, suspend and resume it usb_interface param is used just for getting pointer to struct usb_serial. That's easy. The probe is more complex and needs some deeper changes. Main problem for probe seems to be also it saves struct usb_serial pointer to struct usb_interface usb_set_intfdata(interface, serial);

Anyhow, I would like now ask how to proceed. Should I export four new functions as replacement of those leaving old functionality as currently. Or should I change existing ones like adding new pointer for struct usb_serial and use it instead of struct usb_interface when not NULL.

regards
Antti

--
http://palosaari.fi/