usb device detection

Greetings folks;

I have an Aluratek Libre e-book reader that laid around for about 10
months, so the battery is obviously dead, but if plugged into a powered usb
port, it will charge in about 8 hours.

I tried its own charger, but that appears to be dead, no output power when
plugged into a device expecting a std usb cable with the 6 pin ultra-mini-d
style, I have a card reader that lights up the whole room when a usb cable
is plugged in, 2 such cables work, but this little switch-mode wall wart
doesn't light it.

It has been plugged into a powered hub using its own supplied USB cable for
about 2 hours now with no effect. It is completely dead.  Tailing the log
does not see it being plugged in or unplugged as one would assume when the
device is turned off.  However, the screen is supposed to show a charging
battery icon even then, but is not, which also tells me the log should see
it.  No biscuit.

So my question is:

Is there any way, using usbview or lsusb -vv, to detect if a port is
consuming power to charge the battery in this scenario?

Thanks all.

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
Some men love truth so much that they seem to be in continual fear
lest she should catch a cold on overexposure.
		-- Samuel Butler