Re: Webcam stops other USB devices (ehci_hcd: HC died; cleaning up)

On Fri, 2 Dec 2011, Michael Below wrote:

> Hi,
>
> yesterday I decided to get a webcam and got the above mentioned error
> with two different uvc-supported models (Logitech C270, MS HD 5000).
>
> I have a HP dc5850 microtower, it has an AMD Phenom II with AMD780
> chipset (Radeon 3100 integrated graphics). I am running Debian testing,
> kernel 3.1.4. Each time I plugged the Logitech C270 into the system, two
> other USB devices (Samsung Printer, DLink wireless) stopped working. I
> only got the other devices working again through a reboot, simple
> unloading/reloading of the modules wouldn't help. Most of the times also
> the USB mouse (MS Wireless 5000) would quit (the keyboard is PS/2). I
> installed the webcam successfully on Windows 7, but when booting into
> Linux the USB devices stopped working.
>
> I returned the Logitech and got a Microsoft HD-5000 webcam instead. I
> installed it in Windows 7 and rebooted to Linux. I was able to make a
> test call with Skype on Linux and see my test image there, but when I
> quit Skype the USB devices stopped working, and rebooting with the
> webcam attached didn't help, i had to reboot again without the webcam.
>
> There is a similar problem described here, but without a solution:
> http://lkml.org/lkml/2011/4/25/22
>
> I asked for help on the linux-uvc-devel list: Alexey Fisher
> advised me to try older kernel versions and certain USB options. I
> tried Debian kernels 2.6.32 and 2.6.38, both would boot with USB
> up, but as soon as I accessed the webcam, USB would go down with
> similar error messages as current kernels.

The problem is that the EHCI controller hardware does not turn off the
periodic schedule quickly enough when the computer tells it to.  It's a
hardware fault, not a driver problem.

Other people have encountered the same problem.  For example, you can
read through these two threads (actually only one thread but the
Subject: got changed in midstream):

	http://marc.info/?l=linux-usb&m=131974283732241&w=2
	http://marc.info/?l=linux-usb&m=132009844030500&w=2

> Setting "echo  -1 > /sys/module/usbcore/parameters/autosuspend" or "echo
> Y > /sys/module/usbcore/parameters/old_scheme_first" didn't help
> either.

No, because this has nothing to do with suspending or device
initialization.

> Today I was able to work around this problem by plugging the
> camera into the frontside USB ports, before I had been using the
> backside ports. Seems to be a different controller, in the log
> files it is now usb 2-4 instead of 1-4 or the like.

That's odd.  I wonder why the two controllers should behave
differently.  Maybe there's another device attached to bus 2 which
keeps the periodic schedule active all the time.

> I reported this as a Debian bug, there is additional information in the
> bug report: http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=650736
>
> I am attaching parts of my kern.log. If you need more info, I am glad to
> give it...

Let's see the output from lsusb and lspci.

Alan Stern