Re: A couple of newbie questions

On Mon, Nov 21, 2011 at 01:36:14PM +0100, Gilles wrote:
> Hello,
>
> This question is only partly Linux-related but I didn't know of a
> better place to ask.

Did you try the kernelnewbies wiki and/or mailing list?

> Using the exact same Linux image, the exact same application to
> transfer the image to the USB key (eg. UNetBootin, PenDrive Linux,
> etc.) and the exact same test laptop... I noticed that some USB keys
> will happily boot the laptop while others won't.
>
> I need to know...
> 1. Why this happens?
> 2. Is there something I can check before buying a USB key, so I don't
> end up with keys that just won't boot Linux?

Some devices take longer than others to enumerate and for their data to
be accessed, so you are probably hitting some timeout values in the boot
processes of these operating systems.  Usually you can increase it by
adding an option to your kernel boot command line.

good luck,

greg k-h