Re: 2.0 devices on 3.0 ports not recognized

> Hello,
>
> I am running kernel 3.0.8 on x86_64 (a Zotac mini-ITX motherboard with a
> NEC USB 3.0 controller).
>
> 	05:00.0 USB controller: NEC Corporation uPD720200 USB 3.0 Host
Controller
> (rev 03)
>
> The problem is that USB 2.0 devices are not recognized at all when
> connected to USB 3.0 ports. But USB 3.0 devices work just fine. For
> instance, a Western Digital USB 3.0 hard disk appears in both lsusb (and
> lsusb -t) and achieves transfer rates of more than 100 MB/s.
>
> 	Bus 002 Device 008: ID 1058:0730 Western Digital Technologies, Inc.
>
>          /:  Bus 02.Port 1: Dev 1, Class=root_hub, Driver=xhci_hcd/2p,
> 5000M
>
>              |__ Port 2: Dev 2, If 0, Class=hub, Driver=hub/4p, 5000M
>                  |__ Port 4: Dev 8, If 0, Class=stor., Driver=usb-storage,
>                  |5000M
>
> (There is a Hama USB 3.0 hub connected to one of the USB 3.0 ports. Tried
> to connect my devices with/without the hub and also with/without a 5
> meters long "active cable" for USB 3.0. The hard drive achieved the same
> transfer rates in all configurations.)
>
> When it comes to USB 2.0 devices in USB 3.0 ports, they are silently
> ignored and nothing appears in dmesg. Two different flash drives, two
> different UVC cameras and a HP DVD writer -- all of them work normally on
> USB 2.0 ports, but don't seem to be recognized at all on USB 3.0.
>
> (The motivation behind using USB 3.0 hubs for USB 2.0 devices is a
> multi-seat configuration with a USB 3.0 hub for each user, aiming to
> provide fast USB connectivity with just one cable.)
>
> How can I diagnose these problems? Is this a known issue? A hint would help
> me a lot. :-)

Googling "linux usb debug" points out for example this:

http://www.linux-usb.org/FAQ.html#ts7

So basically enable usb debug in kernel config, adjust the hub driver's DEBUG
macro if needed, rebuild kernel, reboot, configure syslog to log KERN_DEBUG
level ... watch the log, snap in usb2 device, see what happens. Debugfs might
point out something as well.