Re: kernel 3.1 & SB700/SB800: No working usb devices

On Sat, 12 Nov 2011, Tomi Orava wrote:

> > Tomi, can you try plugging a different device into the same port?
> > Maybe a USB flash drive?  Do you get the same result?
>
> I did some testing trying to figure out why the system seems to behave
> in a quite unstable way (both ehci & xhci) and the outcome is rather
> interesting. I did the tests with the Andiry's patch (ie. amd quirk was
> disabled)

Andiry's patch did not go far enough.  The OHCI_QUIRK_AMD_PLL stuff in
drivers/usb/host/ohci-pci.c also needs to be disabled.

>  and basically what happens is that I can plug in a simple
> optical mouse or a usb memory stick and they actually seem to work just
> fine. However, if I do happen to plugin a "problematic" device like
> the previously mentioned Cypress TetraHub or a bluetooth device:

Your description isn't clear enough.  It's important to distinguish
between USB-2 ports and USB-3 ports.

In fact, it might be a good idea to run some tests after unloading
xhci-hcd.  That would take the xHCI controller out of the picture
entirely, leaving only the EHCI and OHCI controllers.  You could even
unload ohci-hcd.

> Bus 002 Device 007: ID 0a12:0001 Cambridge Silicon Radio, Ltd Bluetooth Dongle (HCI mode)
>
> The whole usb 2.0 system goes completely nuts and nothing works anymore,
> not even if I unload all the usb related kernel modules including everything
> to usbcore and reload them again. The very same usb memory sticks produce
> just errors. I left the system on its own earlier today when it went completely
> nuts and tried plugging a usb memory stick again in the afternoon and
> suddenly it was working again until a messed it up with a "problematic" device.
>
> None of the devices seem to broken as they all are functioning without errors
> on my main machine (nvidia MCP55 chipset).

Another thing.  Instead of taking your logs from the system log file,
it's almost always better to use the output from the dmesg command.
The log file sometimes loses data but dmesg never does (until the
kernel's internal buffer gets filled, and even then stuff just gets
removed from the top).

Alan Stern