Re: USB modem device not working.

On Sat, 29 Oct 2011, OBD wrote:

> On 29 October 2011 12:40, Neeraj Jakhar <neeraj.jakhar@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On 26 October 2011 21:43, Alan Stern <stern@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >>
> >> Try one more experiment: Collect two equivalent usbmon traces, one from
> >> each of the computers. �And this time, unload ehci-hcd before starting
> >> the trace. �That just might have some effect. �Perhaps comparing the
> >> two traces will show something. �Although I doubt it -- this really
> >> does look like a low-level problem, like the sort of thing that happens
> >> when a device doesn't have quite enough power.
> >
> > Alan, sorry for a delayed response. I was caught up in a few things.
> >
> > I tried unloading the ehci_hcd on the laptop on which this modem is
> > working. However, there is nothing coming up in either dmesg or usbmon
> > output on plugging in the modem. In fact, even the lsusb command fails
> > with the following output:
> >
> > $ lsusb
> > unable to initialize libusb: -99
> >
> > Just to clarify, ohci_hcd was loaded all this while.

Yes, sorry, that's my fault.  I forgot that the working laptop doesn't
have an OHCI controller.  So on that laptop you should keep ehci-hcd
loaded.

> Sorry for multiple mails (I hope I am not making too many enemies on
> this mailing list :), but,
>
> Surely enough on the laptop on which modem was not working, after
> unloading ohci_hcd nothing appears in dmesg and usbmon output on
> plugging in the modem. And ehci_hcd was loaded all this while.

But what happens on this non-working laptop if ehci-hcd is removed?
You should see something when ohci-hcd is loaded or unloaded.  And when
ohci-hcd is loaded, you should see something when the modem is plugged
in or unplugged.  Please post the dmesg log for these experiments.  If
possible, configure your kernel with CONFIG_USB_DEBUG.

Alan Stern