Re: Patch workflow and git branches

On Fri, Oct 28, 2011 at 11:39:42AM -0400, Alan Stern wrote:
> Greg:
>
> In your USB repository you keep two main branches: usb-linus and
> usb-next.  As I understand it, patches that contain new development get
> added to usb-next (which doesn't get pushed to Linus until the next
> merge window), whereas patches fixing bugs in the upcoming release get
> added to usb-linus (which gets pushed to Linus every week or so).

That is correct.

> Doesn't it make more sense to add bug-fix patches to both branches?
> Not doing this increases the likelihood of conflicts, because new
> development could well need to touch code that just had some sort of
> fix applied.

That's true, if you think a specific patch should be applied to both,
I'll be glad to do so.  Generally when I test, I test with a merge of
both trees together, as that's the true end-result for what linux-next
is showing, and what the next release really will have in it.

Almost always there is not any conflicts, with a few minor exceptions.

For example, for the 3.2 merge window, there were no conflicts, only my
tty tree had a conflict, as did my staging tree, but both of them were
trivial to resolve, infact, linux-next warned me about them before I
even realized they were there.

thanks,

greg k-h