Re: USB modem device not working.

On Wed, 2011-10-26 at 12:13 -0400, Alan Stern wrote:
> On Wed, 26 Oct 2011, OBD wrote:
>
> > On 25 October 2011 20:34, Alan Stern <stern@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > > Aha! OHCI controllers from NVIDIA are known to have some weird bugs.
> > > The kernel tries to work around them, but it doesn't always do a
> > > perfect job.
> > >
> > > Below is a patch you can try out. It won't fix the problem directly,
> > > but it will create two new sysfs files for you. After you boot the new
> > > kernel, but before attaching the modem, look at:
> > >
> > >    /sys/bus/pci/devices/0000:00:02.0/shutdown_quirk
> > >    /sys/bus/pci/devices/0000:00:04.0/shutdown_quirk
> > >
> > > I expect each of them will contain a 0. Try writing a 1 into each and
> > > then see how the modem behaves.
> >

> > Thanks Alan.
> >
> > I tried the fix that you provided on 3.0.4 version of the kernel, but
> > it did not quite work as expected.
> > I could see these two sysfs files, and their value was 0 as you
> > expected. However changing the value to 1 made no difference as far as
> > the USB modem is concerned. It continues to connect and disconnect
> > regularly.
>
> It was stupid of me to send that patch.  I thought of it immediately
> when I saw the NVIDIA controllers, but the patch has no effect on new
> devices when they are plugged in.  All it affects is what happens when
> the system is shut down.  So forget about it; you can remove it.
>
> > Further, I did try the other modem that was working before, and it
> > continues to work even after application of this patch. Another
> > noticeable thing is the complete absence of "unable to enumerate USB
> > device" message in the dmesg output.
>
> This indicates you don't have a controller problem after all.  It might
> be something as simple as a bad USB cable connection.  Or maybe the AMD
> computer doesn't provide quite enough power -- do the modems have their
> own power supply, or do they run on USB bus power?

It depends on the modem.  I've seen ones that have their own battery,
ones that use bus power, and ones that include a Y cable that you plug
into two USB ports and then into the modem so they can draw more power
than one port can provide.  If you didn't buy the modem new, you might
not know whether or not it wants more power or not (ie, whether you got
a Y cable with it or not).

Dan