Re: Issues with xHCI and USB 3.0

On Mon, Oct 24, 2011 at 10:40:47PM +1100, Matt wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've been trying to setup some recently-acquired hardware and
> encountered what I perceive to be possible bugs in the xHCI code.
>
> Specifically, I've got a Shuttle SH51R4, which utilises an ASMedia
> ASM1042 chipset (seemingly xHCI compliant) and I'm trying to connect
> a HotWay h82-su3s2 external drive chassis.  Inside the chassis, I
> have connected four Hitachi Deskstar 7k3000 drives.  For
> confirmation purposes, I have successfully used this setup in
> Windows 7 and achieved well over 100MB/s transfer rates on a
> per-drive basis.  The config also works when plugged into a USB 2
> port in all Linux Kernel's I've tried.
>
> Without exception, I've experienced catastrophic failures using the
> xHCI drivers in varying kernel versions.  Under CentOS 6.0's
> customised 2.6.32 kernel,

Right there is probably your issue.  2.6.32 had only very rudimentary
support for USB 3.0, given when that kernel was released there was no
USB 3.0 hardware really around.

Please try to duplicate this on the 3.1 kernel and we will be glad to
help you out, otherwise I wouldn't really recommend you using that
kernel for USB 3.0 stuff at all.

greg k-h