Re: Error message

Linus Walleij <linus.ml.walleij@...> writes:

> 2011/9/11 Graeme Gill <graeme2@...>:
> > One of the users of my software is getting the following error
> > message on Debian GNU Linux Squeeze:
> >
> >> Product: Datacolor Spyder3
> >> usb 3-2: Manufacturer: ColorVision Inc.
> >> usb 3-2: usbfs: USBDEVFS_CONTROL failed cmd mtp-probe rqt 128 rq 6 len 1024
> >> ret -84
> >> usb 3-2: USB disconnect, device number 38
> >> usb 3-2: new full speed USB device number 39 using uhci_hcd
> >> usb 3-2: New USB device found, idVendor=085c, idProduct=0300
> >> usb 3-2: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=0
> >
> > (I've had this sort of device working OK on various version of Red Hat)
> >
> > Can anyone comment on the likely reason for this ?
>
> This is caused by libmtp device probing. Here is the code,
> see probe_device_descriptor() here:
> http://libmtp.git.sourceforge.net/git/gitweb.cgi?
p=libmtp/libmtp;a=blob;f=src/libusb-glue.c;hb=HEAD

> Most probably because it goes as far as to check the
> "OS descriptor" like this:
> ret = usb_get_descriptor(devh, 0x03, 0xee, buf, sizeof(buf));
>
> I really want to avoid probing the wrong devices, can you provide an
> lsusb -v for this device?
>
> Yours,
> Linus Walleij
> --

Yup, removing libmtp solved the problem for me.

Bus 007 Device 006: ID 085c:0300 ColorVision, Inc.
Device Descriptor:
  bLength                18
  bDescriptorType         1
  bcdUSB               1.00
  bDeviceClass          255 Vendor Specific Class
  bDeviceSubClass         0
  bDeviceProtocol         0
  bMaxPacketSize0         8
  idVendor           0x085c ColorVision, Inc.
  idProduct          0x0300
  bcdDevice            1.06
  iManufacturer           1 ColorVision Inc.
  iProduct                2 Datacolor Spyder3
  iSerial                 0
  bNumConfigurations      1
  Configuration Descriptor:
    bLength                 9
    bDescriptorType         2
    wTotalLength           25
    bNumInterfaces          1
    bConfigurationValue     1
    iConfiguration          4 Monitor Spyder
    bmAttributes         0x80
      (Bus Powered)
    MaxPower              100mA
    Interface Descriptor:
      bLength                 9
      bDescriptorType         4
      bInterfaceNumber        0
      bAlternateSetting       0
      bNumEndpoints           1
      bInterfaceClass       255 Vendor Specific Class
      bInterfaceSubClass      0
      bInterfaceProtocol      0
      iInterface              5 EP1 Int Pipe
      Endpoint Descriptor: