Re: maximum usbserial devices

On Wed, Oct 12, 2011 at 02:56:43PM -0600, Greg KH wrote:
> That's only per root-device.  Your laptop probably has more than 1 root
> device in it, so you can have more.
>
> > but I'm not sure how many devices are usable in practice... Is
> > usbserial driver OK with large amount of devices?  Does anybody have
> > experience with this?
>
> I think I capped the max at 256, and no one in the past 10 years has
> complained about it yet.  If you need to, we can increase it.  If you
> want to test it out, change the line:
>
> #define SERIAL_TTY_MINORS    254     /* loads of devices :) */
>
> in the include/linux/usb/serial.h
> and rebuild the kernel and see if it works for you with a larger number.
> If so, please let us know and I'll be glad to increase it for real if
> you need it.

Hello Greg,

thanks a lot for Your reply. No need to increase it for us for now, thanks :)
I think even 127 devices limit is OK for us, I just wanted to be sure whether
it's not just theoretical limit, but in practice we won't be able to use more then
50 devices or so.
Should the need to increase max devices arise, I'll surely contact You. I'll
also report how much devices we used and whether there were some problems.

Thanks again

have a nice day!

nik

--