Re: Unifying the hc_driver structures for EHCI

Hi,

On Tue, Oct 04, 2011 at 03:28:43PM -0400, Alan Stern wrote:
> > > All this is lots more than I had in mind.  Really, I was asking why one
> > > HC driver needs to have a clock pointer, another needs to have some PHY
> > > data, and the rest don't need to have anything.  Shouldn't this be more
> > > uniform?  For example, shouldn't the PHY stuff be handled in a separate
> > > layer?
> >
> > maybe, but is it time to discuss that now ?
>
> Sure, why not?  We have to get started some time...
>
> This is all part of the same project.  We want to merge as much of the
> separate code as possible for all the different EHCI drivers.  That
> means we have to make them all as similar as possible.  Which means we
> have to look into why there are few odd things sticking out, like clock
> pointers or PHY resources.  Especially when it's questionable whether
> these things should be handled in the EHCI layer in the first place.

another argument to split EHCI to its own platform_driver: by doing so,
the platform-specific details, such as clock, PHYs, PM, etc will be
phased out to a parent driver and (at least for PM) would all be handled
automagically by pm_runtime ;-)

> > > What extra data is it reasonable to expect a driver to want?  Whatever
> > > that is, we can add it directly into the usb_hcd structure.
> >
> > I don't think we can come up with a truly generic solution for all hcs.
> > For all EHCIs, maybe, but not for all HCs.
>
> That's okay, then let's start with EHCI controllers.  When that's
> finished we can move on to do the same with OHCI.

sounds good then.

--
balbi