Re: USB device controller problems with out-of-tree driver

On Tue, 4 Oct 2011, Michael Hunold wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> I'm currently using an ARM9 system called TMPA900 from Toshiba
> http://www.toshiba-components.com/microcontroller/TMPA900Family.html
>
> Linux-supported is maintained in an out-of-tree Git repository here
> http://git.labs.kernelconcepts.de/?p=topas.git;a=summary
>
> This SoC has an USB device controller which I want to use.
>
> The current driver can be found here:
> http://git.labs.kernelconcepts.de/?p=topas.git;a=blob;f=drivers/usb/gadget/tmpa9xx_udc.c;h=5c5bfcc9f7b0d08f5711457aca28bfe8d98a055c;hb=HEAD

> What to do now? I am looking for hints how to proceed.
>
> Especially because of observation 0, I am taking into consideration to
> do a rewrite of the driver. For that, I have been looking at existing
> drivers obviously, and "dummy_hcd" in particular. Is is a good idea to
> take the latter and add the hardware specific parts and remove the
> generic software emulation?

dummy-hcd is, on the whole, not a very good model for UDC development
because it doesn't control any actual hardware.  Also, it contains both
host- and gadget-side code, which tends to confuse things.

It would be better to base a new driver on a real existing gadget
driver, something where the underlying hardware is fairly close to the
Toshiba controller.

> Because I am in need for a better driver sooner or later, I am
> considering to give this development effort away to somebody that knows
> the details better than me. If you are interested in helping me out
> against payment of course, please drop me a line off-list.

Alan Stern