Re: Host USB controller not sending PING after Smart Modular eUSB device sends NYET

On Mon, 3 Oct 2011, andrei radulescu-banu wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> We are encountering a problem with Linux 2.6.35 with a Smart Modular
> solid state flash drive: during an ext3 file system write operation,
> the eUSB drive responds with a NYET, and expects the host side to
> continue a little bit later with a PING. The PING never comes from
> the host side; instead after 9 seconds the host side issues a hard
> reset to the eUSB.
>
> We have also tested Linux 2.6.39, and we see the same problem.
>
> Is this a firmware problem on the host side, or is it something which
> can be worked around in the USB driver?

It is a firmware problem in the host's USB controller.  You should be
able to rule out the other components by plugging the flash drive into
a PC with a more common motherboard chipset, such as ICHx.

> The error causes the ext3 file system layer running on the eUSB to
> become corrupted and the kernel to crash. Upon reboot, however, the
> ext3 filesystem recovers. Here is additional info about our setup:
>
> - Smart Modular 2G flash drive
> - Intel motherboard T5520UR�
> - ext3 file system corruption also happens with Intel motherboard
> S3200SH, but we did not double-check if it's the exact same error
> with a missing PING after a NYET
> - but corruption does not happen if I disable USB2.0 in the BIOS -
> i.e. if the eUSB is running in USB1.1 mode.

You might try checking with Intel to see if anyone there knows anything
about this.

Alan Stern