Re: USB webcams Q

On Friday, September 30, 2011 07:05:29 PM Alan Stern did opine:

> On Fri, 30 Sep 2011, gene heskett wrote:
> > In the lsusb, bus 2 is said to be a linux 1.1, so I assume everything
> > on it is running in 12mbit mode.
>
> Or 1.5 Mb/s.  Yes.
>
> >  I just moved the LX710 keyboard to a different
> > plug on the back panel, but it still shows up as one of the 4 devices
> > on the slow bus.
> >
> > I'm assuming that a given hub cannot be accessed by both ehci and ohci
> > drivers, which means I should put all the slow stuff on a separate
> > hub, no?
>
> Put all the slow stuff except for the webcam on a separate hub, and
> make sure it is a USB-2.0 hub plugged directly into the computer.
> Leave the webcam attached to the OHCI controller.  Since the webcam
> needs to use almost all of the controller's bandwidth, you don't want
> to have any other devices on the same bus.

It looks as if there will be 3 devices, the wireless keyboard & mouse, this
poor camera, and a 5 YO belkin ups that seems to be stuck in 1997.

> Low speed = 1.5 Mb/s.  Full speed = 12 Mb/s.  High speed = 480 Mb/s.
>
> USB-1.1 supports only low and full speeds.  USB-2.0 supports all three
> speeds, and all USB-2.0 hubs are required to do the necessary
> speed conversions.

Great.

> (And in case you're interested, SuperSpeed = 5000 Mb/s and USB-3.0
> supports all four speeds.)

So one s/b careful what one buys when next shopping for a motherboard.  But
I am not shopping just yet, waiting for the USB-3.0 teething pains to
subside a bit.

> >  All of this leads to a pair of questions.
> >
> > 1, can a recently purchased accessory hub do speed translations?
>
> The purchase date isn't what matters -- you can still buy USB-1.1 hubs.
> What matters is the USB version supported by the hub.  Every USB-2.0
> hub can do speed translations.

That will help considerably I'd think.

> > 2, would it do me any good to put the known slow stuff on such a hub
> > so that all the motherboard ports (6) can then be claimed by
> > ehci_hid?
>
> That's not how it works.  When a USB device is plugged into the
> computer, if the device is capable of running at high speed then it
> will be claimed by the EHCI controller.  Otherwise it will be claimed
> by the OHCI controller.

Gotcha.  Thanks.

> > From the lsusb -v, is that camera even able to do usb-2.0?  If its a
> > 1.1 only, then I may as well bin it and go look for a better one.
>
> The lsusb output shows that the camera's bcdUSB is 1.10.  That
> indicates it supports USB-1.1 and therefore isn't capable of running at
> high speed.

So its guilty as charged yur honor. ;-)

> Was the camera plugged directly into the computer?  If it was, you can
> be certain it doesn't support high speed -- if it did, it would be
> claimed by the EHCI controller.

It was and is, plugged into a rear port, or a breakout port, also plugged
into the motherboard.  No intervening hubs.

If that is the case, I'll get another 2.0 hub, _and_ a faster camera.

> On the other hand, any device plugged into a full-speed hub will be
> forced to run at full speed (since the hub doesn't support anything
> faster), even if the device is capable of high speed.

That I had grokked.

> Alan Stern

Thanks Alan, we'll close out this chapter & verse then.

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
The best prophet of the future is the past.