Re: Is it possible to limit USB speed?

On Fri, 23 Sep 2011, Steve Calfee wrote:

> On 09/23/11 07:27, Alan Stern wrote:
> > On Thu, 22 Sep 2011, Iain Barker wrote:
> >
> >> Hi all,
> >>
> >> Is it possible to limit the maximum speed at which a USB 2.0 HUB will connect to USB devices?
> >> e.g. to make USB 2 devices connect at FULL_SPEED instead of HIGH_SPEED
> >
> > The only way to do this is to force the hub itself to connect at full
> > speed.  There's no way to tell a hub to degrade just one of its ports.
> > If the hub is plugged directly into an EHCI controller and there's no
> > companion USB-1.1 controller (as is the case with Intel's
> > "rate-matching" hubs), there's no way to do it at all.
> >
> Hi Iain and Alan,
>
> Yes, there is a way to do it. Connect a FS only hub in front of the one
> you want to downshift. That will shift the entire downstream bus to FS only.

That's what I said above: Force the hub itself to connect at full
speed.

In this case it's not possible.  The hub is built into the system;
there's no way to interpose another hub between it and the controller,
and even if there were, the EHCI controller wouldn't be able to
communicate with a full-speed-only hub.  More and more we're seeing
systems that have only an EHCI controller with no companion
controllers; all communication has to take place through the built-in
hub.

Alan Stern