Re: Is it possible to limit USB speed?

On Thu, 22 Sep 2011, Iain Barker wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Is it possible to limit the maximum speed at which a USB 2.0 HUB will connect to USB devices?
> e.g. to make USB 2 devices connect at FULL_SPEED instead of HIGH_SPEED

The only way to do this is to force the hub itself to connect at full
speed.  There's no way to tell a hub to degrade just one of its ports.
If the hub is plugged directly into an EHCI controller and there's no
companion USB-1.1 controller (as is the case with Intel's
"rate-matching" hubs), there's no way to do it at all.

> The reason is that I'm using usb-storage and getting unexpected disconnects from the hcd.
> From reading other similar reports I suspect an EMI / power / noise problem on the bus.
>
> So I would like to de-rate the bus to run at FULL_SPEED instead of HIGH_SPEED, to see if that helps.
>
> Here's an example:
>
> ehci_hcd 0000:00:1a.0: fatal error
> ehci_hcd 0000:00:1a.0: force halt; handhake f8472024 00004000 00004000 -> -110
> ehci_hcd 0000:00:1a.0: HC died; cleaning up
> usb 2-1: USB disconnect, address 2
> usb 2-1.3: USB disconnect, address 3

Oddly enough, this error message has nothing to do with usb-storage.
It refers to the periodic schedule, which is used for things like hubs,
input devices, audio & video, etc.

> HP Proliant DL120 G7 with ATP industrial-grade USB 2.0 storage modules
> hcd is connected to a hub on the motherboard, nothing is external (no cables etc).

Can you build a kernel with CONFIG_USB_DEBUG enabled and post the dmesg
log from a failure?  Include more of the context; if noise is an issue
there should be a lot of debugging messages complaining about it.

Alan Stern