Re: uvcvideo: Failed to resubmit video URB (-27)

+From: "Alan Stern" <stern@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

+Messages like this should always be posted to the linux-usb mailing
+list.

>On Tue, 20 Sep 2011, Pitt, Jason N wrote:

> Hi Alan-
>
> Sorry to bug you, but I saw your response to a similar issue on the
> Linux-usb list and you seemed insightful so I thought I'd try
> bothering you. I have an ubuntu 11.04 machine that I'm trying to
> capture 12 usb webcam microscope feeds on.  The webcams are split
> over 3 pcie usb cards and the motherboards's usb controller.  I'm
> encountering instability using both streamer and guvcview.  I can get
> all 12 streams running but eventually one dies (in a minute or so)
> and then about 3 more die as well...leaving me with 7 or 8 stable
> streams.  From your post it seems as though there is a limitation in
> the number of UVC_URBS or a timeout problem with the UVC driver?

+There are limitations.  You may simply be trying to do more than your
+system can handle.

What aspect of the system would I be overwhelming?

> The guvcview error is:
>
> Could not grab image (select timeout): Resource temporarily unavailable
>

> which is repeated repeatedly....
>

> the streamer error is:
> v4l2: oops: select timeouts
>
> this usually only effects one or two cameras
>

> with both programs dmesg yields:
>
> [ 5330.048166] uvcvideo: Failed to resubmit video URB (-27).
> [ 5330.048174] uvcvideo: Failed to resubmit video URB (-27).
> [ 5330.048178] uvcvideo: Failed to resubmit video URB (-27).
> [ 5330.048183] uvcvideo: Failed to resubmit video URB (-27).
> [ 5330.048188] uvcvideo: Failed to resubmit video URB (-27).
>

> Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

+-27 is EFBIG, which indicates that uvcvideo tried to schedule a
+transfer that was too large or extended too far into the future.

Too large or too far into the future for what?

+This could be because the driver fell behind the real-time stream and wasn't
+able to keep up.  Without more detailed information it's impossible to
+tell exactly what's wrong.

What information could I provide?

+Alan Stern

--
/*
Jason Pitt PhD                                   206.667.5603