Re: A USB quirk query

On September 20, 2011 09:28:10 AM Alan Stern wrote:

> > >I don't think those two things have any correlation, as the i* fields
> > >are just strings, and something else above caused the probe error.
> > >
> > >It would be good to get a usbmon dump of what happens when the device is
> > >plugged in in order to properly determine what is going on
> > >here.
> > >
> > >thanks,
> > >
> > >greg k-h
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > I am the user having the issue with the njytouch USB touchscreen
> > device. I have created the usbmon output (see attachment). I hope the
> > output is long enough, I really have no idea how much you need.
>
> This is fine.  The usbmon output shows that the touchscreen is buggy.
> It fails to send its report descriptor to the computer.  And this has
> nothing to do with the bizarre Manufacturer and Product strings that
> the device sends -- those are simply bugs.  Instead of sending the
> actual string contents, the device sends the Language Code for English.
>
> Has this device ever worked on any system?  If so, can you send a
> similar usbmon log for that system?
>
> The only thing I can think of that might help is to get rid of the
> Set-Idle request.  But that's far from guaranteed, and in any case,
> there's no quirk setting to do it.  One would have to be written.
>
> Alan Stern

Hi,

the device worked on another system with Windows XP running, yet failed to do so with Linux (I tried various openSUSE and Ubuntu versions and kernels) - it always produced the same dmesg output and error code.

Would it be of any use to monitor the USB under Windows (e.g. with SnoopyPro) and post the logs? If so, can you suggest any specific program / output format that would make things easier for you?

Thanks,
Goetz