Re: Policy for default wakeup-enable setting

On Fri, 16 Sep 2011, Greg KH wrote:

> > Following the kernel's policy, USB host controllers currently are
> > disabled for remote wakeup by default. This really isn't what we should
> > do.  If the user wants a USB device to wake the system then he has to
> > "echo enabled >/sys/.../power/wakeup" for both the device and its
> > controller.  There's no reason to require that second step -- we lose
> > nothing by enabling wakeups on the controller by default.
> >
> > What do people think about this change in the policy?
>
> It makes sense to change this by default, but what does that mean for
> existing users?  Will their systems suddenly wakeup when previously they
> didn't?

As far as I can tell, the only USB devices currently enabled for remote
wakeup by default are keyboards and root hubs.  My proposed patch would
disable root hubs and enable host controllers.

As a result, the only change people should see is that (unless they or
their distributions deliberately alter the settings) pressing a key
on a USB keyboard will wake up a sleeping system whereas before it
would not.

It's hard to say whether this is good or bad.  I don't normally use a
USB keyboard, and my systems _do_ wake up when I press a key, which I
regard as desirable.  The proposed change would make USB keyboards
behave the same as my PS/2 and laptop keyboards.  Other people might
not feel the same way about it, though.

As for other subsystems, I can't say much.  Changing the policy doesn't
have any immediate effect, of course -- people still have to change
the code.  But I think it makes sense.  Even for something simple like
PCI bridges; we obviously want bridges to forward PME# signals to the
CPU.

Alan Stern