Re: [Workshop-2011] Media Subsystem Workshop 2011

On Sun, 7 Aug 2011, Alan Stern wrote:

> On Sun, 7 Aug 2011, Adam Baker wrote:
>
> > I've addec Hans de Geode and linux-usb to the CC as this response picks up on
> > a related discussion about the usb mini summit.

> > > Hmmm. Perhaps not. While we are on the topic, what exactly do you mean by
> > > "the generic device that is used to support libusb." Which device is that,
> > > exactly?
> >
> > The file drivers/usb/core/devio.c registers itself as a driver called
> > usb_device which is used to provide all of the device drivers that live under
> > /proc/bus/usb
>
> Let's get things correct.  The driver is called usbfs, not usb_device.
> The things that live under /proc/bus/usb are files representing USB
> devices, not device drivers.

This indirectly answers my question, above, about whatever device there
may or may not be. What I get from this, and also from a bit of snooping
around, is that there is not any dev that gets created in order to be
accessed by libusb. Just an entry under /proc/bus/usb, which AFAICT is at
most a pseudo-device. Thanks.

So, Alan, what do you think is the best way to go about the problem? The
camera can act as a stillcam or as a webcam. The problem is to provide
access to both, with equal facility (and of course to lock out access to
whichever action is not currently in use, if the other one is).

The current situation with libusb does not cut it, as among other things
it currently does only half the job and seemingly cannot address the
locking problem. Hans suggests to create two explicit devices, /dev/video
(as already done and something like /dev/cam. Then access webcam function
as now and stillcam function with libgphoto2, as now, but through /dev/cam
instead of through libusb. This would seem to me to solve all the
problems, but at the expense of some work. Can you think of something more
clever?

Theodore Kilgore