Re: [Workshop-2011] Media Subsystem Workshop 2011

On Monday 08 August 2011, Alan Stern wrote:
> On Sun, 7 Aug 2011, Adam Baker wrote:
> > I've addec Hans de Geode and linux-usb to the CC as this response picks
> > up on a related discussion about the usb mini summit.

> > > Hmmm. Perhaps not. While we are on the topic, what exactly do you mean
> > > by "the generic device that is used to support libusb." Which device
> > > is that, exactly?
> >
> > The file drivers/usb/core/devio.c registers itself as a driver called
> > usb_device which is used to provide all of the device drivers that live
> > under /proc/bus/usb
>
> Let's get things correct.  The driver is called usbfs, not usb_device.
> The things that live under /proc/bus/usb are files representing USB
> devices, not device drivers.

OK, I was taking the name from the register_chrdev_region call which is
ambiguous as to whether that is a driver name or just a name to associate with
the devices the driver creates. Hopefully I at least gave enough info to make
my meaning clear.

> > If you look in there for the code to handle the ioctl()
> > USBDEVFS_DISCONNECT then you will find the code that is called when you
> > make a
> > usb_detach_kernel_driver_np() call through libusb. That code, according
> > to the documentation and my testing needs to acquire a lock before it
> > calls usb_driver_release_interface(). Based on my testing to date (using
> > cheese to start a camera streaming and then gphoto2 -L to trigger the
> > disconnect ioctl) I would suggest that the fact it doesn't is a kernel
> > bug that needs fixing
>
> What makes you think the code doesn't acquire the lock?  (Hint: Look at
> usbdev_do_ioctl() instead of proc_ioctl().)

My assumption is based on observed behaviour rather than looking at the code.

> > regardless of whether there is any user space solution to camera mode
> > switching because that code could potentially get called on any in use
> > USB device and if it does even thing like lsusb don't work correctly
> > afterwards and completely unrelated devices don't work if they are later
> > plugged into the same USB port.
>
> That's a rather incomprehensible run-on sentence, but as near as I can
> tell, it is wrong.

Further testing reveals the situation is more complex than I first thought -
the behaviour I get depends upon whether what gets plugged in is a full speed
or a high speed device. After I've run the test of running gphoto whilst
streaming from a supported dual mode camera, lsusb fails to recognise a high
speed device plugged into the port the camera was plugged into (it works fine
if plugged in elsewhere) and lsusb hangs if I plug in a new low speed or full
speed device. When I get some time I'll see if I can recreate the problem
using libusb with a totally different device. Looking around my pile of USB
bits for something full speed with a kernel driver I've got a PL2303 serial
port. Would that be a good choice to test with?

Just for reference with a full speed device I see the messages below in dmesg
with the second one only appearing when I do lsusb
[10832.128039] usb 3-2: new full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address
34
[10847.240031] usb 3-2: device descriptor read/64, error -110

and with a high speed device I see a continuous stream of
[11079.820097] usb 1-4: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address
103
[11079.888355] hub 1-0:1.0: unable to enumerate USB device on port 4
[11080.072377] hub 1-0:1.0: unable to enumerate USB device on port 4
[11080.312053] usb 1-4: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address
105
[11080.380418] hub 1-0:1.0: unable to enumerate USB device on port 4
[11080.620030] usb 1-4: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address
106
[11080.688322] hub 1-0:1.0: unable to enumerate USB device on port 4

Adam Baker