Re: PROBLEM: cpu0 lockup when a sound is played thru USB soundcard connected to xHCI USB 3.0 controller

On Sun, Aug 7, 2011 at 11:04 PM, Matěj Laitl <matej@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> every time I try to play a sound file though a NI Audio 4 DJ USB soundcard
> (snd-usb-caiaq module) that is connected to a NEC Corporation uPD720200 USB
> 3.0 Host Controller (xhci-hcd module), the system completely hangs. dmesg
> reports stalls or hard lockups on cpu 0; magic-sysrq-key doesn't work, but
> tasks on other cpus still apparently run. The card runs in the USB 2.0 (480M)
> mode.
>
> The bug does NOT occur when the same soundcard is connected to a USB 2.0
> (ehci) ports. Non-sound communication with the soundcard works even on USB
> 3.0: input mode can be set correctly using amixer.

Did you try this with any other USB2 high-speed sound card, a DVB
receiver, a webcam or hardware like USB sticks or external HDDs? The
device uses isochronous transfers, and the driver doesn't do anything
fancy with it, so it would help a lot to know whether other
hardware/drivers are also affected.

Next thing to try would be whether it makes any difference if you
never queue any outbound URBs (in sound/usb/caiaq/audio.c).

Thanks,
Daniel