Re: USB power accounting at root hub level

On Tue, 26 Jul 2011, Oliver Neukum wrote:

> Am Dienstag, 26. Juli 2011, 16:16:28 schrieb Alan Stern:
> > > I am afraid this is a true problem. We need to make the computation of
> > > the available power dynamic. The computation of hub->mA_per_port
> > > once is insufficient, as we cannot say that a limit valid for any port is valid
> > > for every port forever.
> >
> > You have misunderstood the purpose of hub->mA_per_port.  It is not a
> > dynamic value reflecting the amount of current available at any moment.
> > Rather, it is a static upper limit reflecting the computations
> > prescribed by the USB-2.0 spec, section 7.2.1.
>
> The problem here is that the host violates the requirements of the section.
> It cannot supply both ports at the same time with enough power. We could
> ignore that issue. But if we don't, I think we need to go dynamic.

We already log a warning message if an external hub can't supply
sufficient power to all its ports.  We could do the same for root hubs.
We could even log a warning message if a config change would cause the
parent hub to exceed its power budget.

Beyond that, I don't see what else can be done.

Alan Stern