Re: xhci: "no room on ep ring" with USB2.0 high speed device

On Fri, Jul 15, 2011 at 3:58 PM, Kruno Mrak <kruno.mrak@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> when running our cameras on USB3.0 ports we get
> "ERROR no room on ep ring".
> This only happens if camera's image size is bigger than
> ~1MB or when using multiple image buffers (queueing).
> Capturing is made through libusb and async bulk transfers.
> Now, as more and more of our customers are using PCIe-USB3.0 extension
> cards we get under pressure.
> After looking into xhci driver sources, i have seen that
> TRBS_PER_SEGMENT is limited to 64 and segments per ep ring
> is fixed to 1. (right?)

For bulk transfer, it's 1 segment. Isochronous transfer needs a bigger ring
because it inserts multiple TDs to the ring when an isoc URB is submitted.
Currently it uses 8 segments.

> Playing with this params (TRBS_PER_SEGMENT=256 and ep ring segments=8)
> and first tests led to good results.
>
> So, my question is, do you agree with me that limited
> ep ring allocation might cause above mentioned error.
> Is there a chance to push development on ep ring allocation?
>
> Thank you in advance.

Maybe dynamic ring allocation helps in this situation.

Thanks,
Andiry