Re: xhci_hcd Warn: Stalled Endpoint with USB 3.0 to esata connection

On Jun 27, 2011, at 10:53 PM, M. Steven Ginn wrote:

>>> ok that would be nice ∑ the concept seems very attractive ∑ increase throughput from esata II to USB 3.0 5gps
>>
>> Will you really see a speed increase?  Isn't the connection between the
>> Addonics unit and the drive a regular eSATA connection?  If it is, it
>> will continue to limit the throughput.
>
> I think the premise is that if standard throughput of esata is 3gps, if you are reading and writing two drives simultaneously, then the increased bandwidth of the 5gps USB 3.0 should help, right?
>

>>> here is a link to their website talking about the use of a different kind of USB port called esata USB Hybrid (EUHP) that is being used in the Addonics device.  Any chance the implementation of power on the esata side could be causing the issues?
>>
>> Missing link.
>>
>> Alan Stern
>>

> I conducted the output capture on 4u and there was no output … I think I'm going to take one of my drives out and put it into a single esata enclosure.
>
> I sent a problem report to Addonics and this is the response I received:
>
> If the port multiplier chipset in your SanDisk 5 drive raid tower is Silicon Image, you may encounter the extra drive in your OS, which some OS will eventually report it as an invalid device. Which means that you have to switch to a different port multiplier before you can be able to use it correctly. You may need to return that eSATA to USB adapter back to the original place of purchase since there is a compatibility issue between those 2 products.
>
> FYI: We have tested the USB 3.0 adapter with our HPM-XA(Jmicron JMB393 chipset) to be compatible with each other. You can find this product from the link below.
>
> Steve
> sginn@xxxxxxx

Just to offer a bit more clarity about this product.  After reading further down the web page, it states that it is compatible with any port multiplier but with the Sil3726, it will show an extra drive / partition:

Support connecting multiple eSATA storage devices as individual drives to any system, similar to a USB hub, when used with any port multiplier. For individual drive application, device connected to the Port Multiplier must be all hard drives or all optical drives. Port Multipliers based on the Sil3726 or 4726 will have an additional non-functional drive volume visible in disk management.

The raid tower I am trying to connect to is the Sans Digital TR5M and does use the Sil3726 port multiplier.  I guess I either get a firmware upgrade from Addonics or find another esata raid tower with the Jmicron PM.  Back to the drawing board.

Steve
sginn@xxxxxxx