Re: how can host disconnect a device without unplug

Hi Amit,

How is the USB connected in your system Is it through some USB
controller, or directly to some CPU GPIO pins, you can program CPU
registers to power down but you need to check the CPU spec, this in
effect will bring the power down. If it is connected through some USB
controller you can check the Spec, they have such commands to power
down the controller.

regards
Suman

On Thu, Jun 16, 2011 at 1:25 AM, Alan Stern <stern@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Thu, 16 Jun 2011, Amit Nagal wrote:
>
>> ok lastly , is it possible to poweroff a usb port from host software
>> for eg  similar to the case
>> where a usb host can turn off port power if too much current is drwan
>> by the device ?
>
> It depends on the port hardware.  The hardware normally used in desktop
> and laptop USB host controllers does not allow it.  The hardware used
> in most external hubs does not allow it, although a few types of hub
> do.  I don't know about the hardware in a typical SOC.
>
> Alan Stern
>
> --

Rgds
Vijayendra Suman