Re: how can host disconnect a device without unplug

On Tue, Jun 14, 2011 at 7:41 PM, Alan Stern <stern@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Tue, 14 Jun 2011, Amit Nagal wrote:
>
>> Hi ,
>>

>> How can a usb host  disconnect a usb device without unplug of usb cable ?
>
> What exactly do you mean by "disconnect"?

by disconnect i mean whether , under software control  , it is
possible for a usb host to electronically disconnect
a device   though both remain plugged over usb .

Basically  programatic equivalent of plug / unplug cycle is desired
on host side .

>> for eg i mean something similar to usb_gadget_disconnect() api
>> available on gadget side .
>
> That API causes the gadget to remove its terminations and pullup
> resistors from the bus data lines.  Nothing the host does can cause
> that to happen.

ya , so using usb_gadget_disconnect() api , a gadget can do a software
controlled disconnect from usb host .
i just used it as example though it is on gadget side .

so similarly  , is there any api() available on host side , so that a
host can do a software controlled disconnect to a gadget ?

again , on gadget side , we have usb_gadget_connect() api , using
which a gadget can do a software controlled connect to a usb host .
but it is on gadget side .

so similarly , is there any api() available on host side , so that a
host can connect a gadget under software control ?

>> is it possible to do entirely in software or support from hardware
>> also is required ?

i repeat above question here .

>> what interfaces in userspace or kernel can be used if possible ?
>
> There's the /sys/bus/usb/devices/.../remove attribute file.  Writing to
> this file is roughly equivalent to pressing the "Safely remove
> hardware" button in Windows.  But it isn't like physically unplugging
> the USB cable.

Thanx for the information . So software controlled unplug can be done
from host side .
Can we have  replug functionality somehow from host side ?

i also elaborate my need here :

1) In one of my embedded targets , host and device are hardwired over usb .
so i want to have programtic equivalent of unplug/plug cycle in usb
host  to check connect / disconnect
functionality and without using rmmod usb modules on host side . Also
i donot have control over gadget side .

2) i want usb host to reenumerate the device .

Regards
Amit Nagal