Re: Improving kernel -> userspace (usbfs) usb device hand off

On Sat, Jun 11, 2011 at 6:43 AM, Theodore Kilgore
<kilgota@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> If the linux community decided to put webcam functionality in kernel and
>> still image functionality on a completely separate driver, that's
>> entirely our problem.
>
> As I understand, the basic reason why webcam functionality needs to be in
> the kernel is speed. Quick reaction time, and faster data transmission.
> Most but not all webcams use isochronous data transport. The ones which do
> not, cannot get as high a rate of frames per second. Isochronous data
> transport has historically seemed to need kernel support in order to work
> properly. Related to this, libusb has not supported isochronous data
> transport. But still cameras use bulk transport. This is natural because
> one needs to move data which is stored on the camera to a place on the
> computer where it can be processed (if needed) and stored. There is no
> impediment to userspace talking to a USB device, so why not go ahead and
> do the job that way if the kernel is not needed?

Just one comment, libusb-1.0 does support isochronous transfer.
http://libusb.sourceforge.net/api-1.0/group__asyncio.html
Whether you want to use libusb-1.0 for the webcam functionality is another
story.

--
Xiaofan