Re: PXA: Handling of UDC with no VBUS pins

On 05/18/2011 02:06 PM, Dmitry Eremin-Solenikov wrote:
Hello, colleagues,

There are several PXA platforms which on the UDC tranceiver part have
a pullup pin to support connect/disconnect but no VBUS pin to detect
host presense. Currently such platforms are supported through udc driver
itself. I'd like to clean that part of pxa25x_udc/pxa27x_udc drivers and
to move gpio pullup handling to tranceiver.
So, you want to concentrate USB pullup handling, right ?
My question is what would be better: to extend gpio-vbus to work w/o
VBUS pin or to write new transceiver driver only handling gpio-pullup?
My personnal feeling is neither, let them be. The generic pullup would have to ask itself :
  - should the pullup be applied on D+ (on USB 2.0 and 3.0 devices) ?
  - should the pullup be applied on D- (on USB 1.1 devices) ?
The common driver will have to handle the suspend/resume in an homogenous way.
If the gadget driver is removed, the pullup should be pulled low.

All of this work for only 2 drivers looks overkill to me.

And if you want to gather it in a driver, "gpio-vbus" purpose was to handle VBUS sensing, ie. power presence on +5V/Gnd lines. The D+ handling was not part of its duties, and you'll probably end up with a new driver, which is ... overkill IMHO.

Cheers.

--
Robert