Re: [linux-pm] xHCI and suspend/resume

On Tuesday, May 17, 2011, Dwight Schauer wrote:
> On Tue, May 17, 2011 at 10:38 AM, Sarah Sharp
> <sarah.a.sharp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> >> Are both xHCI controllers from NEC?

> >> Please do if possible.
> >
> > If pcie_ports=compat doesn't help, does it help if you use pci=nomsi?
> > I'm wondering if the hardware bug shows up only when MSI or MSI-X is
> > enabled for the NEC hardware.  Also, if you turn on
> > CONFIG_USB_XHCI_HCD_DEBUGGING, what NEC firmware version do you see in
> > dmesg?
> >
> > Sarah Sharp
> >

> pcie_ports=compat had no effect
> with pci_=nomsi I get upon boot.
>
> xhci_hcd 0000:02:00.0: Failed to enable MSI-X
> xhci_hcd 0000:02:00.0: failed to allocate MSI entry
> xhci_hcd 0000:06:00.0: Failed to enable MSI-X
> xhci_hcd 0000:06:00.0: failed to allocate MSI entry
>
> The 6:00.0 is for NEC device in the PCIe slot.
>
> With pci_=nomsi the rutime power management works, I can put auto in
> power/control and the device comes back on it's own.
>
> However, this does not address the wakeup from system suspend issue,
> enabled in power/wakeup still does not work. If the interrupt is now
> being polled, that would make sense as to why it still does not work.
>
> For TI's xHCI device I get "xhci_hcd 0000:02:00.0: failed to allocate
> MSI entry" with pci=nomsi.
>
> The system with TI's device in it is exhibiting the same symptoms
> (wakeup does not work and by default auto in power/control does not
> work). It is a different motherboard and chip-set than the system I
> have the NEC device in.
>
> pci=nomsi has no effect on the system with the TI xHCI device in it.
> pcie_ports=compat had no effect either as far as making auto in
> power/control work properly.
>

> As to the NEC firmware, both the on-board and off-board NEC devices
> have the same version:
>
> xhci_hcd 0000:02:00.0: NEC firmware version 30.21
> xhci_hcd 0000:06:00.0: NEC firmware version 30.21
>
> Attached are the dmesg boot logs for both systems.

OK, so for the S3 issue, I think there's a problem with the PCIe link
on these devices such that the link is not present during resume
and that's why commands are not reaching the device.  I'm not sure yet
what to do about it, but I wonder if xhci_hcd does something around
PCIe links on suspend?

Rafael