Re: xhci_hcd: external drive not initialised if already connected during restart or cold boot

Hi Lee,

On Mon, May 02, 2011 at 04:04:07PM +0100, Lee Harris wrote:
> Hi Sarah
>
> Whenever I restart or coldboot, my external drive (3.5 sata in a
> USB3 enclosure) is not detected / initialised correctly. fdisk -l
> does not show the drive at all.
> I have found that I have to:
> turn it off ( or disconnect the usb cable)
> modprobe -r xhci_hcd
> modprobe  xhci_hcd
> and then turn it on. It is then found and initialised.

Your problem sounds similar to one that Qiannan Cui reported:

http://marc.info/?l=linux-usb&m=130444208828283&w=2

> if I leave it on and connected modprobe -r xhci_hcd & modprobe
> xhci_hcd will not work but sometime if I then switch the drive
> enclosure it does get picked up ,often it seems to get picked up by
> the wrong usb host driver though and still fails to be initialised.
> eg
> [  801.550030] usb 5-1: new full speed USB device number 2 using
> ohci_hcd (I have seen ahci as well)

Except that it's very odd that the device migrated over to OHCI.  It's
possible the device showed up at full speed and then it should have
migrated over to SuperSpeed after the device reset.  I'm not sure why it
would move under OHCI, since the xHCI host controller is supposed to
take care of all device speeds.  If your device manufacturer has some
sort of switchover mechanism to swap USB 1.1 devices from xHCI to OHCI,
that's going to be an interesting complication.

Can you verify that the device is actually under OHCI by running the
lsusb command when the device's speed is degraded?

> I have compiled the 2.6.39-rc5 with |CONFIG_USB_XHCI_HCD_DEBUGGING=y
>
> |dmesg from boot follows and the dmesg from a failed modprobe -r
> xhci_hcd & modprobe  xhci_hcd with the drive connected (then
> switched off and on) and then another with it disconnected which was
> successful once the drive was reconnected after the  modprobe
> xhci_hcd

Thanks, I'll take a look at that.  Do you know if the device works
better under an earlier kernel, like the latest 2.6.38 stable kernel?

Also, could you try Greg KH's usb-next tree?  It contains some USB 3.0
hub fixes, and I think some warm reset patches were added that might
help this situation.

> I'll include  lshw output as well in case this helps.

I've never heard of lshw, so I'm not sure it would help me. :)

> If you require anything else please let me know.

It will take me a day or so to study your logs.  I'll let you know if I
need anything else.

Sarah Sharp