Re: [RFT] usbcore: Bug fix: system can't suspend with USB3.0 device connected to USB3.0 hub

On Tue, Apr 12, 2011 at 04:34:10PM -0400, CAI Qian wrote:
> > If auto-suspend is working properly, you
> > should
> > see messages like:
> >
> > "usb 9-1: usb auto-suspend"
> Yes, there was a message there.
>
> kernel: usb 9-1.2: usb auto-suspend

Ok, will you please try the patch Alan sent (the one that removes the
can_submit check).  I am able to reproduce this with Linus' latest tree,
and a Pluggable USB 3.0 hard drive dock attached to a Buffalo USB 3.0
hub.  It's odd that the system is allowed to hibernate the first time,
since I don't have any of Andiry's patches for USB 3.0 hub suspend
enabled (either the 5 patches, or the port power off workaround).

What I notice is that after the first hibernate, the drive seems to be
there, but when I browse folders, they are all empty.  When I run lsusb,
the hard drive is not connected, and dmesg shows lots of errors from the
block layer, so it looks like the drive disconnected during the
hibernate.  When I try to hibernate a second time (without unplugging
the drive and replugging it in), the system refuses to hibernate.

I don't have a serial port, so I can't get messages from the second or
third parts of the hibernate (thank you Alan for the very complete
explanation).  I'm not able to tell if the hibernate issue is exactly
the same cause as yours, but it does look similar.  I'll test with
Alan's patch and see if it helps.

Sarah Sharp