Re: Serious USB bug

On Fri, Apr 01, 2011 at 04:52:19PM -0400, John T. Cox wrote:
> We have encountered an issue where USB printers stop working. When this happens
> a number of secondary things occur: init does not function properly, the system
> cannot be be shutdown or rebooted from the command line, lsusb hangs, and some
> items specific to our systems.
>
> In my research I have found references to this issue going back at least 3
> years.
>
> I am going to skip some of the suggested information because this problem has
> been reported on all major Linux distributions and many kernel versions over
> the past several years. Also, lsusb will hang after the problem occurs. What I
> have not seen before, is how to reproduce the issue. The problem has been
> reported on USB keyboards or mice but, I have seen it on many USB printers,
> some external drives and a video camera. We have mostly Intel and Dell USB
> controller chipsets but it has been reported on others.
>
> How to reproduce:
>   Take a system with a USB attached printer (I think all of ours are
> multi-function ones, my testing was on a Brother 8220).
>   1. Unplug the USB cable or power off
>   2. Plug it back in or power the printer back on.
>   3. Repeat step 1.
>   You should know have a kernel Ooops in USB-Core.
>
> I have provided the demsg and strace lsusb info below. I would REALLY like to
> see this issue get fixed as soon as possible. It is rather critical for us. If
> you cannot reproduce this, need more information or whatever it takes, please
> let me know and I will be happy to provide whatever I can if it will help get
> this issue resoled.
>

> relevant dmesg:
>
> CPU:    0
> EIP:    0060:[<f89b99ff>]    Tainted: G     U VLI
> EFLAGS: 00010246   (2.6.16.60-0.54.5-default #1)

This is a _very_ old kernel version.  Can you still duplicate this on a
modern kernel release?  If you are stuck at this kernel version due to a
support contract, please contact your vendor for a fix for this.

And yes, I have seen reports of this on older kernels, but it is not
reproducable on the 2.6.32 kernel at the least.

thanks,

greg k-h