Re: hibernate/resume regression (WAS Re: [RFC v4 00/24] xHCI split roothub and USB 3.0 hub support for 2.6.39)

On Fri, 18 Mar 2011, Sarah Sharp wrote:

> You shouldn't hibernate/suspend with a USB 3.0 hub plugged in right now.
> PM for USB 3.0 hubs isn't supported yet, as they use a completely
> different protocol for device suspend than USB 2.0 hubs.  I'm not
> surprised the second USB 3.0 hard drive was lost.
>
> I'm going to try to work in USB 3.0 hub power management as bug fixes to
> 2.6.39, but I wanted the main bulk of the USB 3.0 hub support to go in
> now, since it was such a big API change.

It would be a good idea to fix things up so that the system _can_
suspend and resume with a USB-3 hub plugged in, even if the hub itself
doesn't suspend and resume correctly.  Messing up one device (or one
part of a USB bus) is better than messing up the entire system -- Linus
has very strong feelings about this.

Alan Stern