cdc_acm and sam_ba support the same device

Hi,

I'm not sure, whether you consider this is an issue. However, the device
I have (Lego NXT in SAM-BA mode, lsusb shows it as 03eb:6124 Atmel Corp.
at91sam SAMBA bootloader) is supported by both cdc_acm and sam_ba kernel
modules, which leads to unpredictable behaviour.
(Tested 2.6.38 - same issue in 2.6.37)

If I plug the device in, the following happens if cdc_acm is already loaded:
> usb 4-1: new full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 3
> cdc_acm 4-1:1.0: This device cannot do calls on its own. It is not a modem.
> cdc_acm 4-1:1.0: ttyACM0: USB ACM device
> usbcore: registered new interface driver cdc_acm
> cdc_acm: v0.26:USB Abstract Control Model driver for USB modems and ISDN adapters
> USB Serial support registered for sam-ba
> usbcore: registered new interface driver sam-ba
> sam_ba: v1.0: Atmel SAM Boot Assistant (SAM-BA) driver

After unloading both cdc_acm and sam_ba, the following happends:
> usb 4-1: new full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 4
> USB Serial support registered for sam-ba
> sam-ba 4-1:1.1: sam-ba converter detected
> usb 4-1: sam-ba converter now attached to ttyUSB0
> usbcore: registered new interface driver sam-ba
> sam_ba: v1.0: Atmel SAM Boot Assistant (SAM-BA) driver
> cdc_acm 4-1:1.0: This device cannot do calls on its own. It is not a modem.
> cdc_acm: probe of 4-1:1.0 failed with error -16
> usbcore: registered new interface driver cdc_acm
> cdc_acm: v0.26:USB Abstract Control Model driver for USB modems and ISDN adapters

As you can see, the device is recognized by cdc_acm as well as sam_ba.
Depending on which module is loaded, the device is either claimed by
cdc_acm or sam_ba. The device name may be either ttyACM* or ttyUSB*

I have no clue, whether there are Atmel SAM-BA implementations that do
not support the cdc profile.

I'm not sure, whether the device should be blacklisted in cdc_acm in
favor of sam_ba. However, I have the feeling that if sam_ba is actually
installed, sam_ba should claim the device even if cdc_acm is already loaded.

Last time I tested, the device was working fine with cdc_acm, though.

Kind Regards,
  Sven KÃhler