Re: Question about gregkh's qcserial rewrite

On Tue, Mar 08, 2011 at 03:10:46PM -0800, Greg KH wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 08, 2011 at 05:53:08PM -0500, Elly Jones wrote:
> > As I understand it, gregkh rewrote Qualcomm's GPLed QCSerial2k driver to produce
> > qcserial.c. Since Qualcomm just released Gobi 3000 drivers under the GPL, I've
> > been working on hacking qcserial.c to support Gobi 3000 as well as 2000.
> > However, I don't understand the reasoning for one of the changes in the
> > rewrite.
>
> <snip>
>
> > I don't understand why we need the extra test against bNumEndpoints and
> > usb_endpoint_is_bulk_{in,out} here. Can anyone shed any light?
>
> Did you look at the git history for this driver?  It will show you
> exactly why this change was made, and who made it.

I looked, but was not enlightened. The driver was added by you on Feb 17 2009,
as part of commit a78b42824dd7c2b40d72fb01f1b1842f7e845f3a; the message for that
commit says "Cleaned up the probe logic to make a bit more sense". Since then,
that code has been refactored (by Anssi Hannula). The code I'm asking about was
present in the very first commit made to this driver.

> After looking at that, if you have further questions, please let us
> know.

I still do not understand why the test for usb_endpoint_is_bulk_{in,out} is
necessary, when it wasn't in the original qualcomm driver (and isn't in their
new gobi3k serial driver). I feel like I must have missed something obvious, but
I cannot see what it is.

> thanks,
>
> greg k-h

-- Elly