Configuring power available at a USB port

Hello all,
we attach a small ChrystalFontz USB LCD display to a Linux box. Unfortunately
the power requirements of the display are skirting what the USB port can
provide. Now our hardware vendor claims that it is possible to increase the
available power to a USB port through software configuration in the driver.
(If anything I would have expected such a feature inside the BIOS, but never
mind.)
Question: Is this claim true? Does the Linux USB stack support this? If so,
how can I access this feature?

I'm well aware that one can override the power budget. This is not the problem.
The question is really about diverting/allocating more power to a USB port.

Thanks in advance
  Joerg