Re: cdc-acm performance measurement question

On Feb 27, 2011, at 5:43 PM, Alan Stern wrote:

> Please have your email client wrap lines after 72 columns or so.
Ah, OK.  I had assumed vger would do that for me :-/

> <snip>
> You can learn a lot by looking at a usbmon trace.  See
> Documentation/usb/usbmon.txt.

Perfect! The timestamp and datalen will answer my current questions.

> Extreme inefficiencies like this are almost always the device's fault.

I'm certainly suspecting that now.  I put some lame instrumentation
tweaks into the cdc-acm driver, and aside from destabilizing the
driver, it makes me think the device is sending short transfers.
I assume that leads to outrageous amounts of buffer churning.

-dave