Re: [Query] Composite gadget: Issues with interface order

On Wed, 2 Feb 2011, Maulik Mankad wrote:

> It seems that composite.c does not manage well the interfaces that are
> disabled.

Note that the standard kernel has no way to disable interfaces.  The
disable mechanism was added in Android.

Have you tried running the test with a standard kernel (i.e., one from
kernel.org)?

> We assign interface_id's to all the interfaces (enabled/disabled) but
> while sending the configuration descriptor to the host, only the
> enabled interfaces are announced. Thus host has no way to know of
> other interfaces available on the device. Thus there is a mismatch
> between the wIndex field (interface number) that the host sends and
> what the device expects. Also it is strange that config->interface[id]
> array also holds the disabled interface.
> Seems a bug in the composite framework.

No, it's a bug in Android.

> Any idea of how to address this?

No.  I work on the standard kernel, not Android's adaptation.

> I tried some obvious things, like assigning interface_id's in
> usb_interface_id(), only if the function is enabled, but this does not
> gel well with the framework and I see bind failures.

You need to report this to the Android developers.  Posting messages on
linux-usb won't do much good.

Alan Stern