Re: problem with kernel commit ff2f078 (USB: fix race between root-hub wakeup & controller suspend)

On 1/30/2011 1:40 PM, Alan Stern wrote:
On Sat, 29 Jan 2011, Paul Bender wrote:

Below is a diagnostic patch you can try out.  Please
apply it to a vanilla kernel (i.e., without your own patch) and enable
CONFIG_USB_DEBUG.  Then post the dmesg output showing what happens
during a pair of suspend attempts.

Thank you for the patch. I have attached files for good (suspend to RAM
succeeds) and bad behavior (suspend to RAM aborts)

Good.  The log files indicate that there was indeed a race: A wakeup
request was received after a resume had started but before it had made
any progress.  It also explains the alternating behavior; waking up the
root hub cleared the flag that prevented the controller from
suspending, so the next suspend worked okay.

I think the patch below will solve the problem.  The idea is not to
clear the WAKEUP_PENDING flag until after the resume is complete.

Thank you. I applied the patch you provided and it fixed the problem for me.