Re: deadlock between device sysfs removal and userspace access sysfs

On Fri, Jan 28, 2011 at 12:04:01PM -0600, Pete Flugstad wrote:
> Hello,
>
>    I'm seeing what appears to be a deadlock between khubd disconnecting a
> malfunctioning USB device (due to EMI likely) and a userspace app querying
> a sysfs attribute for the device at the same time.
>
>   This is with Linux 2.6.29.1 - I'm building 2.6.37 to test now but
> I'm wondering
> if someone has seen something like this before and can point me at patches.
> I found:
>
> http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git;a=commit;h=e16362a0c8d90e9adbfe477acbe32b021823fb22
>
>   which seems relevant, but is already applied to our tree.

You do realize how many changes have gone into the kernel since 2.6.29,
right?  That's many years and tens of thousands of patches, so if you
are stuck with that one, you are really on your own (or you need to push
on your vendor to resolve this issue, it's their fault, not ours).

If you can duplicate this on .37, we will be glad to help out here.

thanks,

greg k-h