linux write system call returns -1 when using usb as virtual serial port

Hi all -

We are trying to use a usb virtual serial port on our embedded system to communicate
between our x86 host and the usb device on board a LPC2378 processor.

When we call write on the X86 side, we often get a return value -1 and
errno is: 'resource temporarily unavailable'. If I retry lots of times, I can eventually get the data written. Prior to trying to use USB, we were using a real serial port for the same purpose and
never got errors on write.

We are not sending enough data out to be overflowing the 4k tx buffer.
(our kernel is old and has 4k tx and rx buffers).

Is it reasonable to get errors on write calls when using USB? If not an overflow of the 4k buffer, what would be the cause of this
error?  Is it reasonable to retry until successful?

We have the port opened in raw mode, non-blocking.

Thanks.